Friday, June 10, 2005

 

White Mughals - William Dalrymple

A relic from my bookshelf and I was determined to read this time around! It has been languishing ever since I bought it and overwhelming me with (what else?) but the foot notes! And cross references to appendixes and glossaries and all such.. located towards the end of the book.

It weaves a love story set in early 1800s with wot else but foot notes indexed to letters written in that era, along with other books and pictures taken then. Simple enough story, aggrandized with emphasis on the Britsh cultures, the impact of "Hindooism" and Islamic culture and so on and so forth.

Simply put its a story about James Kirkpatrick and Khair-un-Nissa. One is the Resident of the British in Hyderabad (or the Nizam's territory) and she is a the daughter of a well know politico. It has all elements of a love story - its grand, involves a lot of intrigue (or what must have been intrigue at that time), many people helped make it a successful if tragic tale, even borders on filmy and in the grand scheme of things hardly matters and ends on a sad note.

The story is in third person and is actually the author narrating it. He tries to makes sense from so many documents that after a while, unless you give up trying to remember where he sourced what from, it would be very difficult to enjoy the story. Just read the top half of all pages!

I don't have anything fundamental against research and we, as journalists, were always told that you should be able to back up what you say and with documentation. But this book by William Dalrymple, takes it to a new level.

Am digressing, as usual. Back to the story. Its colourful and vivid in its description and makes me want to look all other possible liasons and such affairs of that time. White Mughals - would I recommmend it? I dont know... because for me it was a case of liking the author but not his latest offering (this book released in 2002 and as far as as I know other than making inflammatory remarks, Dalrymple has not released any book since).

The language in this book is a lot like his other books - colourful, very descriptive especially for clothes, jewellry, food, architechture and art. The finer nuances of the relationships are still hazy. Perhaps because he only has letters dated over two hundres years ago and has to read in between the lines and beyond nick names.

I always wonder two centuries after our lives, how would the history get documented? We do not write long rambling letters (or even emails) about daily happenings. There may be a few blogs but none of so called famous persons. Also Dalrymple stumbled on a decrepit structure which was one of Khair and James's houses. Which perhaps led to this tale. I just wonder how will little details of our day to day lives get recorded?

On a more personal note.. even here over 200 years ago.. women STILL could not try and make it on their own. In Khair's case, despite a much publicised affair with James which resulted in children who were banished, houses that were lost and familiy members alienated, she still took on another beau within one year of James passing away. Only to be sidelined by him for a more well connected wife. She perhaps died pining.. for love.. for children or may be just for company. And all this happened before she turned 30.

Comments:
I always wonder two centuries after our lives, how would the history get documented?

You are not going to believe this but i just wrote about the very same thing in my blog last night.

Thanks to this post, I know all i ever want to know about this book, I don't quite think I will read it. I've just got a copy of Shashi Tharoor's Great Indian Novel, whats your view on that?

I've discovered Indian writing so to say (despite being an Indian living in India, sorry if it sounds rather vain but I never knew otherwise) only over the last year or so. I'm constantly amazed at the talent that is there.

Nice post!
 
The Great Indian Novel is a superb book.. satirical.. wry humour and superb characterisations. Esp if you like the Mahabharata.. a must read...its one of my all time favs.

yep u can skip White Mughals.. no great miss...
 
J., I started reading the Hungry Tide early this am. I'm around the pages where Moyena takes Kanai around the hospital. I started this book with the apprehension I have towards most new authors, (getting ready to adjust to a new style, give the writer a chance etc) to my surprise, I didn't have to try hard, I like the style and the characters!

Thanks for that review that got me thinking abt this book.

Cheers.
 
hey am flattered,...! a lot of others have said many more beautiful things about the book
but yes the hungry tide convinced me to give amitava ghosh a chance....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?