Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

This was the first time I read an Ishiguro and was not as moved as others seem to be with him. It was a fabulous book though. One point here .. that with most books loved by EVERYONE and you read it after great reams of deliberation are done on it and you don't like it.. your first thought it .. something must be the matter with me.. but since it has happened numerous times with me.. I don't get as surprised anymore.. digressing again.

It a typical love story - poignant and unrequited. I loved Mr Stevens and his importance of retaining his dignity and Miss Keaton and her quirks. Its very lovely to read and somehow right from the beginning there is a certain despondency to it.

The layers in the book are superb which delicately touch the politics and politcos of that time along with the delicious lifestyle. Unfortunately for me, I had seen the movie earlier and each time I read an acerbic word by Mr Stevens, Sir Anthony Hopkins came rousingly out of my memories and I think on how Emma Thompson did more than a half decent job of Miss Keaton.

Reading the book after seeing the movie.. seems to have done it for the book. But now am thoroughly intrigued with the author and cant wait to read more of his work..

Comments:
Welcome to the club! But I have to say, I don't see how you could describe it as a "typical" love story. It's the most atypical love story I've ever read, with only one sentence in the entire book that actually reveals the depths of Stevens' heart - that too at the very end, when he's pretty much lost all chance of happiness.

Incidentally I read the book after seeing the film too.
 
I saw typical.. because yes every line conveys the depth of his feelings for him, but like most love stories.. this too is sad.... but i great book nevertheless
 
Sad yes, but brilliant crafted. Even the movie cannto capture the greys and greens woven into words by Ishiguro. Hopkins of course took to the book, and lived the character for three months before shooting began. Now wonder then, eh? :)
 
heretic - really? Did not know that bit of trivia.. yep its believable.. the movie is superb as well.. undoubtedly.
 
You know what drew me to the book? (I'll proceed since you aren't here to answer my q.)

The title and the picture on the cover. It's a picture of a stalk of wheat or some other grain against a dark background. Both, the title and the picture, just seemed so beautiful and wistful and delicate and transient and fragile...like love, like honor, like dignity, like regret...like the book.

Well, I judged the book by its cover and I think it paid off.

I also highly recommend 'The Hours'. Read it even if you've seen the film, heard the connoisseurs and the critics. But, here, I digress. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?