Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

Another must read

A Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is a lovely tale of Christopher Boone, in first person narrative, trying to solve the mystery of the murder of the dog Wellington.

Its a poignant tale of a child, his world ( one with a form of autism) and he trying to come with anwers. He goes about it in a methodical fashion and makes some very telling statements. The book is very simply written and has used images and different formatting styles that makes all kinds of wonderful statments echo around even minutes after reading them...

I had forgotten that I had left my book on the ktichen table because I was interested in the Blue Planet video. This is what is called Relaxing Your Guard, and it is what you must never do if you are a detective. (page 471)
************
And Father said, 'I love you very much Christopher..Do you understand?'


I didn't know whether I understood. So I said, 'I don't know.

And Father said , 'Christopher, do you understand that I love you? and I said , 'Yes, because loving someone is helping them when they get into trouble, and looking after them, and telling them the truth, and Father looks after me when I get into trouble, like coming to the police station, and he looks after me by cooking meals meals for me, and he always tells me the truth, which means that he loves me. (page 481)

I saw a lot of parallels in this book and the movie Mercury Rising - murder mystery with autism but the book is much more classic and tender because a kid is exposed to delicate human relationships and its trails rather than gore. And on a different note, do watch the film.

And yes go read the book.

Here is a spoiler of a review. And here are some more reviews.

Comments:
one of my fave books. i keep recommending this book to anybody who cares to listen :p
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?