Monday, May 16, 2005

 

The Hungry Tide - Amitava Ghosh

I had tried to read Amitava Ghosh some years ago and had not enjoyed his book or whatever I did manage to read of his. So even after he won the Crossword Hutch Book Award and the book constantly crept up in conversations, I was not sure of the book.

An afternoon in the bookstore below my office and one chapter later I was hooked. Its one of the those few books that constantly beckon to come back and explore it further. Its been ages since I read a book I could not bear to leave - constantly want to listen to the characters talk amongst themselves, read aloud descriptive passages or generally dream of being there myself.. as a part of the story.

Its a story set in the tide country or mangroves or to be more specific the mangroves at the delta of the Ganges, also known as Sunderbans. Set in an imaginary Lusibari, it revolves around people who come there, make it their home and then give up a lot more for their adopted homes.

Told through a narrative of a diary, the story unfolds in two time periods, giving it an element of dreaded certainty that makes you want to continue reading ahead because of our innate fancy for anything even remotely sad. Being right about anyone's misery somehow makes us want to rejoice.. I wonder why?

Kanai, Pia, Fokir, Tutul, Moyna, Mashima, Nirmal, Horen.. I could go on.. it must be Bengali names that make them so musical to say. The story is a love story on one level, a fight to demand freedom on another, different generations making a picture with memories and snatches of conversations.

Its about Kanai trying to find the mystery about his uncle Nirmal's death, Pia's search for the Oracella Dolphins, the language barrier and how it ceases to matter in duress, the small victories in progress and education, the beauty of Sunderbans and how it is all interwoven coming together in the last few chapters.

As the story comes close to an end, it crescendoes with a storm (literal and figurative), keeping up the pace of the story in a similar high and razzy end.

I cant compare it to his other books because I have not read any as yet (but will definitely read at least more). But this one is written fluidly and is in places, dark, surreal and warm and liquid in others.

Comments:
You didn't read the whole thing in the bookstore surely?!

Yes, a very elegant book though I thought the climax was just a little overwrought. That's a nice point btw about the Bengali names being so musical. I think that's the case in a few of his other stories as well.
 
How I wish I could have.. but for two main issues.. one being the ambience not being suited to becoming 'a lost customer' and another i think would be my office having at some issues to me spending all my time at Crossword...

Yep the ending reminded me of a Hindi movie end.. and i was reading that bit late in the nite so kinda fit the time and place... may be dint think it was overwrought becoz of that...
coz i have had the experience with a lot of books.. while reading them deep into the nite..
 
Great. Now I've one more book i need to read :-)

Its amazing finding about a good book!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?